Heath Streak, a former captain of Zimbabwe, made an official statement in response to the false reports of his demise that went viral on social media today.
The injured former fast bowler asked the source to apologise for disseminating the false information.
“It is a complete falsehood and rumor. I’m healthy and alive. I find it shocking that news of someone’s alleged dying may spread untruthfully, particularly in this day and age of social media. I think the source should apologize. Streak, 49, who is battling liver cancer, said to Mid-Day on Wednesday morning, “I am upset by the news.
After some media outlets said the former all-rounder had died early in the morning, Streak has since verified he is still alive.
Henry Olonga, a former member of Streak’s national team, disputed the allegations and called it “exaggerated” only hours after it had been reported.
“I can affirm that Heath Streak’s demise has been significantly exaggerated, according to rumors.He just spoke to me. He was contacted again by the third umpire. Olonga posted a screenshot of what seemed to be a chat between Streak and himself on X, previously known as Twitter, accompanied with the comment, “He is very much alive guys.