A source close to the investigation told AFP on Friday that Paul Pogba’s ‘B’ sample had shown evidence of the presence of testosterone. Pogba plays for both Juventus and France in the midfield.
The former player for Manchester United, who is now 30 years old and won the World Cup in 2018, might get a suspension of up to four years.
The first test, which was conducted by the Italian anti-doping organisation (Nado), revealed the presence of testosterone metabolites.
Pogba found out on Friday that the examination of his B sample, which had been carried out the day before, had yielded the same result.
The player’s entourage did not want to remark on the matter.
According to the World Anti-Doping Code, Pogba is subject to a ban that may last for up to four years; however, this penalty might be reduced by one year if he can demonstrate that he was not at fault.
If the use of the chemical took place “out of competition and is not related to his level of performance,” then the suspension might even be reduced to a few months instead of a lifetime ban.
Last month, officials for Pogba said that the testosterone originated from a dietary supplement that had been given to him by a physician in the United States whom he had visited.
The hormone testosterone is responsible for the growth of muscle.
When contacted by AFP, Nado said that “due to a decision by the Italian privacy authority,” they were unable to corroborate this information.
Pogba has seven days to present his defence to Italy’s National Anti-Doping Tribunal, which will examine his case and recommend a sentence, a procedure that may take several weeks. Pogba has been suspended from all competitive play while the investigation is ongoing.
Due to the fact that doping is considered a criminal crime in Italy, the office of the public prosecutor in Turin will initiate a judicial inquiry in addition to the processes that will be carried out by the Italian sports justice system.
Pogba has not been allowed to practise with Juventus, the club to whom he returned in July 2022 after spending the previous six seasons with Manchester United, ever since the news of his failed test was became public.
The news broke just before Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri was scheduled to give a press conference on the day of the Turin derby against Torino. Allegri’s only comment was that he felt “sorry for Paul” at the press conference.
AFP attempted to get in touch with the club, but they did not react. In addition, the club has stopped paying him his projected annual salary of 8 million euros (8.4 million dollars).
Pogba began the new season working towards a recovery from the series of injuries he suffered during the previous season as well as from the surgery he had in the summer.
His sample was apparently collected during the first encounter of the Serie A season for his team, which was a victory away at Udinese on August 20. He was a substitute but did not play in the game.
Rafaela Pimenta, Pogba’s representative, said on September 11 that she was “awaiting the second sample and cannot have an opinion before the results” after the first sample tested positive for the substance in question.
“What is certain is that Paul Pogba never wanted to break a rule,” she said moreover.