Portugal’s Matheus Nunes, a midfield player, is reportedly heading to Manchester City for a reported sum of US dollars 67 million, Wolves manager Gary O’Neil revealed on Thursday.
The 25-year-old decided not to train with Wolves after the Premier League winners’ last attempt to sign Nunes was denied in an attempt to push through a deal in the last few days of the transfer window.
Speaking earlier this week, O’Neil predicted the midfielder would stay with the team through Friday’s transfer deadline and stated he was not aware of any better offer from City.
However, the teams reached a deal that included a higher sum.
O’Neil said, “The matter is settled; he is joining Manchester City.” “I would have expressed my feelings to him if he had rejoined the group.
“He put up a lot of effort and did his part for the club when I previously worked with him. After then, players started clamoring to join Manchester City, a major club. We proceed.”
What had changed with the Nunes arrangement, O’Neil was asked?
The offer, he said. “We weren’t going to accept at that time since it was much lower. By the conclusion of the window, the team will be in a better position than it was last week.”
After joining Wolves from Sporting Lisbon for an original £38 million transfer last year, Nunes became the club’s record signing.
Last season, he made 34 appearances in the top level and scored one goal.