A person close to the talks told AFP on Sunday that Neymar is “probably leaving” Paris Saint-Germain. An offer from Saudi Arabia is said to be on the table.
In 2017, the Brazil international moved from Barcelona to the French winners for a record 220 million euros ($241 million).
But the 31-year-old forward didn’t play in PSG’s first game of the season on Saturday, and a source said he “no longer figures in the club’s or manager’s plans.”
The official explanation for why the Brazilian scorer did not play in the 0-0 draw with Lorient was that he had a “viral syndrome.”
The person said that Neymar was in talks with a club from the cash-rich Saudi Pro League, “who will then have to come to an agreement with PSG.”
The French sports newspaper L’Equipe said that Al-Hilal has made an offer for the 31-year-old player.
Last month, Al-Hilal made a bid of 300 million euros ($328 million) for Kylian Mbappe of PSG. However, the star is said to have refused to meet with club officials.
Neymar had surgery on his right ankle at the beginning of March. He came back in time to join Paris Saint-Germain on their preseason tour of Asia.
Qatar supported PSG is in a state of change, with Lionel Messi leaving and French superstar Mbappe sitting out the game on Saturday because of a contract disagreement that has been going on for a few weeks.
Neymar wasn’t at the game at the Parc des Princes, which stood out.
He’s been hurt a lot during his time at PSG, which has been a problem.
Even though he helped the team get to the Champions League final in 2020, he has been left out of many important games.
If Neymar does move to Saudi Arabia, he will join a growing list of top players who have moved there since Cristiano Ronaldo went to Al-Nassr in January.