Mason Greenwood, a forward for Manchester United who was cleared of attempted rape claims following an inquiry, will depart Old Trafford, the Premier League team announced on Monday.
Greenwood was accused with attempted rape, controlling behavior, and assault in October of last year. He was suspended by United in January 2022 as a result of the allegations that appeared on social media.
His trial was scheduled to begin on November 27, 2023, but all allegations against him were dismissed in February.
Following the dismissal of the accusations, United stated that they had launched an inquiry and had taken into account “the wishes, rights, and perspective of the alleged victim as well as the club’s standards and values.”
Mason did not commit the offenses for which he was first charged, according to the information that was made available to the club. “Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture,” the team stated in a statement.
“Everyone involved, including Mason, is aware of the challenges he faces in starting over at Manchester United.
Therefore, it has been decided that doing so outside of Old Trafford would be most suitable. We will now work with Mason to make that happen.
The best choice
Greenwood admitted “making mistakes” in a statement to the British media, adding: “I did not do the things I was accused of.
“Manchester United, my family, and I worked together to come to this choice today.
“It is best for all of us if I continue my football career elsewhere, away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not cause any trouble for the team,” he said.
Greenwood, who graduated from United’s development academy, made his first-team debut at the age of 17 in 2019. He played an important role in the team’s success in 2021–22, making 18 Premier League matches before receiving a suspension.
“I appreciate the club’s help ever since I joined at age seven. Greenwood, who also made one appearance for England in 2020, continued, “There will always be a part of me that is United.
“I want to be a better person, a better father, and a better football player. I want to use my skills both on and off the field for good.”
CEO Richard Arnold said in an open letter to the team’s supporters that the club had thought over a number of possibilities before making their choice, one of which was reintegrating Greenwood into the team.
Arnold stated, “This issue has sparked strong opinions, and it is my obligation to minimize any distraction from the club unity we are pursuing.
“Even if we have decided that Mason will try to revive his career outside of Manchester United, this situation is far from over.
“The club will continue to offer its support to both Mason and the alleged victim in order to help them mend their relationships and move on in a positive direction.”