Manchester United said that they are treating the assault claims against forward Antony seriously. Following a police inquiry, Antony was left off of Brazil’s national team for two World Cup qualifying matches.
The Brazilian soccer federation (CBF) declared Antony’s withdrawal on Monday after reports of a violent attack by his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, which were released by the local media site UOL.
The athlete has denied any misconduct.
The English Premier League team was under pressure to address the accusations made against Antony after their decision to split with Mason Greenwood, another striker.
Following claims of assault and attempted rape, Greenwood was accused of being a “distraction,” and Manchester United announced last month that he would be leaving Old Trafford.
According to the prosecutors, “the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light” led to the dismissal of those accusations in February. Greenwood, 21, signed a season-long loan with Spanish La Liga team Getafe on Friday.
“With consideration of the impact these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse,” Manchester United said that it takes the case against Antony seriously.
The club said that they were aware of the police investigation and that they would not comment more until further information was available.
Antony was removed from the team “to protect the player, the Brazilian national team, the CBF, and the alleged victim,” according to the Brazilian organization.
Because of the police inquiry, Antony said he could not comment more on the claims, but he could “confidently state” that they were untrue.
A police investigation was underway, a Public Security Secretariat of Brazil official confirmed to Reuters.
Gabriel Jesus, an Arsenal attacker, has been called up by Brazil’s coach Fernando Diniz to take Antony’s spot.
Brazil will begin their 2026 World Cup qualification campaign on Friday when they host Bolivia and travel to Peru four days later.