The Premier League club that Manchester United plays for said on Sunday that winger Antony has been given permission to take a leave of absence so that he can address charges of domestic violence.
The player, who is 23 years old and hails from Brazil, was kicked off the team on Monday after his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin leveled allegations against him that he refutes.
In a statement, United acknowledged the charges that were made against Antony, saying, “Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony.”
On Monday, players who have not taken part in any international matches are scheduled to resume their training. However, in order to address the claims, it has been decided that Antony would postpone his return until further notice. This decision has been reached in agreement with Antony.
“As a club, we strongly oppose any form of physical or verbal abuse. We understand how important it is to ensure the safety of everyone involved in this situation, and we are aware of the impact these allegations have on people who have survived abuse.
On Monday, Antony made a statement in the form of an Instagram post in which he claimed to be the “victim of false accusations.”
The denial came after allegations from Brazilian press outlets published purported WhatsApp communications that were sent between Antony and Cavallin. In these texts, the footballer is said to threaten his former partner.
Additionally, Cavallin may be seen in one of the photos with what appears to be a head wound.
According to the ex-Ajax player, his relationship with Cavallin was “tumultuous” and included “verbal abuse on both sides.”
On the other hand, he denied having physically assaulted her and added, “I have never practiced physical aggression.”
As the situation unfolds so soon after United’s decision to cut ties with Mason Greenwood, the club is under increasing amounts of pressure to take action.
The case against the 21-year-old striker, who was accused of attempted rape and assault, was dismissed in February of this year, according to an announcement made by prosecutors. The case was withdrawn when key witnesses recanted their statements and new information was discovered.
Reports that United were preparing to keep the player after a six-month internal probe were met with a public outcry, and the club announced in August that he would rebuild his career elsewhere following the conclusion of the investigation.
As a result of this, Greenwood is now playing for Getafe, which are based in Spain.
A little more than a year ago, Antony made the move to Manchester United from Ajax in a transaction of £85 million ($107 million).
He has played 48 times for the Red Devils, scoring eight goals, and was a member of the team that won the English League Cup earlier this year. In total, he has made the Red Devils’ roster 48 times.